A glass of champagne is a great way to celebrate a special occasion, be it to ring in the new year or to toast a promotion at work. Just the act of popping open the bottle feels festive!
Because of this, there are many champagne quotes celebrating France’s iconic sparkling wine. From famous authors to renowned politicians, everyone has something to say about champagne. And while you can’t always drink champagne, you can always share quotes about champagne!
That’s why we’ve curated 27 different champagne quotes for you to complement your next glass of the popular sparkling wine.
Champagne Quotes from Famous Icons
- “There comes a time in every woman’s life when the only thing that helps is a glass of champagne.” –Bette Davis, American film and theater actress
- “Champagne is the one thing that gives me zest when I’m tired.” –Brigitte Bardot, French actress
- “I only drink champagne on two occasions, when I am in love and when I am not.” –Coco Chanel, French fashion designer
- “Champagne makes you feel like it’s Sunday and there are better days around the corner.” –Marlene Dietrich, German actress and singer
Champagne Quotes from Politicians
- “Champagne is the only wine that leaves a woman beautiful after drinking it.” –Madame de Pompadour, French court member
- “Remember, gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s champagne!” –Winston Churchill, British statesman and former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom
- “I drink champagne when I win, to celebrate… and I drink champagne when I lose, to console myself.” –Napoleon Bonaparte, French statesman and military leader
- “Champagne and orange juice is a great drink. The orange improves the champagne. The champagne definitely improves the orange.” –Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- “Some people wanted champagne and caviar when they should have had a beer and hot dogs.” –Dwight D. Eisenhower, former president of the United States
Champagne Quotes from Writers and Philosophers
- “Why do I drink champagne for breakfast? Doesn’t everyone?” –Noel Coward, English playwright and composer
- “Champagne has the taste of an apple peeled with a steel knife.” –Aldous Huxley, English novelist and philosopher
- “One holds a bottle of red wine by the neck, a woman by the waist, and a bottle of champagne by the derriere.” –Mark Twain, American novelist
- “Fighting is like champagne. It goes to the heads of cowards as quickly as of heroes. Any fool can be brave on a battlefield when it’s be brave or else be killed.” –Margaret Mitchell, American novelist
- “Too much of anything is bad, but too much champagne is just right.” –F. Scott Fitzgerald, American novelist
- “Three be the things I shall never attain: envy, content, and sufficient champagne.” –Dorothy Parker, American poet and short story writer
- “The feeling of friendship is like that of being comfortably filled with roast beef; love is like being enlivened with champagne.” –Samuel Johnson, English essayist
- “Champagne, if you are seeking the truth, is better than a lie detector. It encourages a man to be expansive, even reckless, while lie detectors are only a challenge to tell lies successfully.” –Graham Greene, English novelist
- “Champagne is one of the elegant extras in life.” –Charles Dickens, English novelist
- “Pleasure without champagne is purely artificial.” –Oscar Wilde, Irish playwright and novelist
- “Only the unimaginative can fail to find a reason for drinking champagne.” –Oscar Wilde, Irish playwright and novelist
- “Great love affairs start with champagne and end with tisane.” –Honoré de Balzac, French novelist and playwright
- “My only regret in life that I didn’t drink enough champagne.” –John Maynard Keynes, American economist and philosopher
- “Gentlemen, in the little moment that remains to us between the crisis and the catastrophe, we may as well drink a glass of champagne.” –Paul Claudel, French poet
Champagne Quotes from the Experts
- “Come quickly, I am tasting the stars!” –Dom Pérignon, monk and cellar master attributed to the discovery of champagne, upon first tasting it.
- “I only drink champagne when in love and when not.” –Christian Pol Roger, producer of champagne
- “I only drink champagne when I’m happy, and when I’m sad. Sometimes I drink it when I’m alone. When I have company, I consider it obligatory. I trifle with it if I am not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise I never touch it—unless I’m thirsty.” –Lily Bollinger, former manager of the Bollinger Champagne house
- “In a perfect world, everyone would have a glass of champagne every evening.” –Willie Gluckstern, founder of Wines for Food
- “No government could survive without champagne. Champagne in the throats of our diplomatic people is like oil in the wheels of an engine.” –Joseph Dargent, head of public relations for the Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne
There is always an occasion that calls for champagne, no matter what time of year. Next time congratulations are in order pair these champagne quotes with beautiful sparkling wine glasses and, of course, a bottle of your favorite champagne!