The love shared between a mother and a child is a bond like no other. Whether you’re a daughter or a son, your mom holds a special place in your heart. Moms teach us about responsibility, devotion, hard work and, most importantly, unconditional love.
Tell your mom how much she means to you with these Mother’s Day poems. After everything she’s done and all she will do for you, give her something truly meaningful in return. Remember, a sentimental gift often means more than an expensive one.
Show your mom the love she deserves with these poems for Mother’s Day.
Short Mother’s Day Poems
- “i struggle so deeply / to understand / how someone can / pour their entire soul / …into someone / without wanting / anything in / return” – Excerpt from Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
- “Of all the special joys in life, / The big ones and the small, / A mother’s love and tenderness / Is the greatest of them all.” – A Mother’s Love by Anonymous
- “Put them all together, and they spell ‘Mother,’ / A word that means the world to me.” – M-O-T-H-E-R by Howard Johnson
- “I see now it was love, Mom, / That made you come whenever I’d call / Your inexhaustible love, Mom, / And I thank you for it all” – Everything Mom by Joanna Fuchs
- “Thank you, Mom / I have always loved you and I always will” – Without You by Joanna Fuchs
- “Hundreds of dewdrops to greet the dawn, / Hundreds of bees in the purple clover, / Hundreds of butterflies on the lawn, / But only one mother the wide world over.” – Only One Mother by George Cooper
- “A tender smile to guide my way, / You’re the sunshine to light my day.” – Sunshine by Anonymous
- “My mother is the dearest for me. / …She is the soul of our house; / …She is a very kind and loving mother…” – My Mother by Ritwik Sinha
- “Thank you, mom, for believing in me. / …Thank you, mom, for loving me unconditionally. / …And I thank you for all the laughs, smiles, and joy that you bring.” – Thank You, Mom by Jennifer J. Hall
- “Here’s wishing you a Mother’s Day / That’s filled with every pleasure, / And a future that’s as happy / As the memories you treasure!” – [Untitled] by Anonymous
Funny Mother’s Day Poems
- “I bought a box of chocolate hearts, / a present for my mother, / They looked so good I tasted one, / and then I tried another.” – Mother’s Chocolate Valentine by Jack Prelutsky
- “I’m glad that you’re my mother, / Kind and caring and strong. / Coz surely no-one else, / Could have put up with me this long!” – Put Up With Me by Holly Giffers
- “You know all my most embarrassing moments, / You know that I’m a nut, / So what can I do to repay your love / and make sure you keep your mouth shut?” – You Know Me by Holly Giffers
- “…don’t poets know / better than others? / God can’t be always everywhere: and, so, / invented Mothers.” – Mothers by Sir Edwin Arnold
- “At times, she drives me crazy, / but my mom she’ll always be. / And even when I’m far away, / I think, what would my mother say…” – My Mom by Terry W. Kraemer
Sweet Mother’s Day Poems
- “I love you, Mother, I have woven a wreath / of rhymes wherewith to crown your honored name…” – Sonnets are full of love, and this is my tome by Christina Rossetti
- “Your strength and love guided me and gave me wings to fly.” – Mother by Sarah Malin
- “No love like mother-love ever has shone; / No other worship abides and endures, — / Faithful, unselfish, and patient like yours” – Rock Me to Sleep by Elizabeth Akers Allen
- “A Mother’s love is something / that no one can explain, / It is made of deep devotion / and of sacrifice and pain” – A Mother’s Love by Helen Steiner Rice
- “The way I feel I can’t explain / The gratitude inside / For all the days and all the nights / You spent right by my side” – I Love You Mum by Jessica Ashton
Mother’s Day Poems from Daughter
- “Once upon a memory / Someone wiped away a tear / Held me close and loved me, / Thank you, Mother dear.” – Thank You, Mother by Anonymous
- “A mother wraps / her love around the heart / of her daughter, / keeping each beat steady / through the rhythm of life, / until wings take shape, / and it’s time for the soul / to take flight.” A mother. By Christy Ann Martine
- “Whenever I’m in need of a shoulder, / There’s no one as devoted as my mother.” – To My Dearest Mother by Kirsten Rollander
- “Mother and daughter, their hearts as one — a link that can never be undone.” – Mother & Daughter by Unknown
- “She’s my guardian angel who’ll always be / A very special part of me” – My Heart by Sharlynn N. Manning
Mother’s Day Poems from Son
- “I’m writing you to tell you that I love you / Something I hardly ever do. / I never tell you enough how much I love you / and it’s something I must do.” – Dear Mother by Herman Vymislicky
- “You’ve made my life full of delight / And when I’m with you everything’s all right” – Ode to Mom by Christopher R. Hall
- “For I forgot to be your son, / And was blind to the damage done. / But, Ma, you taught me right from wrong, / And now I sing a different song.” – Working in Your Dungarees by Ronald Doe
- “Life has difficult decisions and you were my guide. / you taught me how to decide / …and that family should never be put aside.” – When I Was A Small Child by Joao De Leon
- “For everything I am today, / My mother’s love showed me the way.” – What “Mother” Means by Karl Fuchs
Hopefully, these Mother’s Day poems encourage you to give your mom a gift from the heart this year. Whether completely original or inspired by another author, she will surely love a heartfelt message — bonus points if it rhymes!
You can even get the whole family together to give your mom a poem from each genre! Moms sacrifice a lot for their children, so the least you can do is put together some poems for Mother’s Day in return.