Secret Santa is a popular holiday gift-giving game that is perfect for groups of friends, family members or your colleagues at the office. All of the participants’ names are written down, placed in a bowl or hat, and selected at random. You are then responsible for getting a gift for whoever’s name you pull. Remember this is Secret Santa, so don’t tell anyone whose name you picked!
But, what happens when you’re tasked with getting a thoughtful gift for a coworker you’ve never said hello to, or a friendly acquaintance you’ve barely met? That’s when a survey of Secret Santa questions comes in handy! We’ve put together a list of questions that will help you get to know the person you’re buying a gift for. Even if you’re not besties with them, these questions will help you learn more about their interests so you can get them a gift they’ll surely appreciate!
- When is your birthday?
- What is one thing you can’t live without?
- What is one thing you always need more of?
- What do you like to do on the weekends?
- What fictional place would you most like to visit?
- How do you relax after a long day at work?
- Do you collect anything?
Food & Drink
- Do you prefer coffee or tea?
- What is your favorite fast food restaurant?
- Do you prefer wine or beer?
- What is your favorite candy?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Do you prefer sweet or sour?
- What is your favorite type of food?
- What is your favorite coffee shop?
Entertainment & Pop Culture
- What is one TV show you can watch over and over again?
- What is your favorite movie?
- Who is your favorite actress/actor?
- What is your favorite band?
- What is your favorite type of music?
Fashion & Beauty
- Do you have a favorite nail polish color?
- What is your favorite brand of makeup?
- Do you have a favorite perfume/cologne?
- If you could splurge on one beauty/fashion item, what would it be?
- How would you describe your personal style?
- Where is your favorite place to shop?
Sports & Activities
- Do you play any sports?
- What is your favorite professional sport to watch?
- Who is your favorite athlete?
- What is your favorite team(s)?
- Do you enjoy any outdoor activities?
Other Favorite Things
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your favorite book?
- Do you have a favorite type of flower?
- What is your favorite vacation spot?
- What is your favorite thing to do on a rainy day?
If you want to get even more creative, we’ve also created a blank template where you can fill in your own questions. Once each person in your group has filled out their Secret Santa survey, put them in a folder or a central location where everyone can pick up their recipient’s answers! In addition to asking these questions, we also recommend setting a few rules around the game to ensure everyone receives the perfect gift. Be sure to set a price limit, schedule the gift exchange at a time everyone can attend and keep gifts appropriate for the setting. If you still need some help deciding on a gift, don’t worry! We have something for everyone on your Christmas list.