Birthday card writing is an art that doesn’t come naturally for many of us. It can be hard to come up with what to write in a birthday card. Your instinct might be to skip a card all together, but you shouldn’t; a card adds a personal touch that makes the gift extra special. Regardless of whether your card is homemade or store bought, the addition of the right words will make all the difference.
Before you get to writing, make sure you keep these things in mind:
Choose the Right Card
Make sure to choose a card that reminds you of the person to whom you’re giving it. If they are an animal lover, find a funny animal card. If it’s for your mom who loves sunflowers, draw a sunflower on a blank card. This step may seem obvious, but many times people just grab the first card they see. The thought you put into each detail will really show in the end.
Make the Recipient the Main Focus
This is their day. Put yourself in their shoes and make sure you would feel special and important when reading the words.
Share A Memory
Think of a memory you shared with them. It doesn’t have to be some big trip you went on, it can be something small like a Sunday morning breakfast that you enjoyed together. If it makes you happy thinking about it, there’s a good chance it will bring them joy as well.
Speak From the Heart
Don’t feel pressured to fill the whole card with words. Sometimes the most simple sentences can get your point across. A few well thought out phrases will stand out more than filler words. Don’t overthink it!
To help you out, we’ve generated a list of birthday wishes and messages to inspire you. No matter what type of person your card is for, we’ve got you covered.
Funny Birthday Wishes
We all have that jokester in our lives that loves to laugh. Bring them a smile on their birthday with a funny birthday wish. Here are some options:
- Forget the past and forget the future, but most importantly please forget the present because I forgot to get you one. Happy birthday!
- Congrats, you’re another year closer to that senior discount!
- I wanted to give you something awesome for your birthday, so here I am!
- Happy Birthday! No, it wasn’t a Facebook reminder…
- If you could pick up the cake, the food and the drinks, I’ve got the rest of the party covered.
- They say love is all you need, so I’m giving you double the love and no present. Happy birthday!
- I hear white hair is coming back in style anyways, you’re just a trendsetter.
- I wanted to make something for you on your birthday, so I made us reservations.
Cute Birthday Messages
You may want to portray how much a person means to you, but aren’t sure where to begin. These cute birthday messages will give you a starting point:
- I hope you always remember to count your blessings rather than your age and your positive experiences rather than your mistakes.
- May your special day be filled with love, laughter and happiness. You deserve it.
- No gift is as special as what you’ve given me by being in my life.
- I didn’t think there was anything I could love more than chocolate, but then I met you.
- However you choose to spend your birthday, may it bring you the happiness you deserve.
- Wishing you a big slice of happiness in the coming years.
- I love celebrating the day you were born because I can’t imagine my life without you in it.
Belated Birthday Wishes
We’ve all forgotten a birthday before, it happens. But writing the right thing in your card could make up for it. Here are some clever suggestions to show the person that just because you forgot their birthday doesn’t mean you’ve forgotten them.
- I knew you would be overwhelmed with birthday wishes, so I decided to wait an extra day.
- I’m sending you this card in celebration of your birthday month, you deserve more than a day!
- Just wanted to wish you a happy birthday, fashionably late of course!
- I’m blaming the lateness of this card on the time difference. It’s a different time somewhere right?
- Don’t worry, I can only miss your birthday once a year.
- Although your birthday is a special day, someone like you is special everyday!
- I want to wish you a happy birthday 11 months in advance. I’m not late, I’m early!
Birthday Wishes for Friends
Our friends are some of the most important people in our lives. They are the family we get to choose. So, when their special day comes, it’s important to let them know what they mean to you.
- What a year! You deserve to sit back and relax with an umbrella drink in your hand. I’ll be right there beside you to keep you company!
- Happy birthday best friend! May your day be a beautiful as you.
- Happy birthday! Here’s to many more spent together.
- May all your dreams and wishes come true, you deserve it.
- Here’s to another year of wild adventures and endless fun!
- As far as friends go you’re not one of the best, you’re THE best!
- May every moment of your life be as wonderful as our friendship.
Birthday Messages for Moms
Your mom has given you so much, most importantly, life. Make sure you thank her in a meaningful way on her special day.
- Happy birthday to a woman who has sacrificed many precious moments in her life so that I could have them in mine.
- Happy birthday mom! I’m so thankful to have grown up with a role model like you.
- If I grow up to be even half as good as you, I will have achieved a lot!
- Happy birthday mom! Thank you for believing in my best even after seeing my worst.
- The desserts you bake are too good to be true, but still not as sweet as you. Happy birthday mom!
- Happy birthday mom, thanks for being the best mom I could have asked for.
- I don’t need the movies because my mom is a real-life superhero! Happy birthday!
Birthday Wishes for Daughters
It’s hard watching your daughter grow up and deal with the difficulties of life. Use their birthday as a time to tell them how much they mean to you and all that you wish for them in this life.
- Dearest daughter, I hope you have a celebration as sweet as you are.
- Happy birthday to my little princess. You can be a royal pain sometimes, but I love you no matter what.
- We love you to the moon and back!
- Dear daughter, we are so happy to watch you grow wiser and more beautiful every year. We love you!
- Thank you for making us the proudest of parents.
- We are so grateful to be able to watch our little girl grow into a young woman.
- Having you as our daughter has been the greatest gift. We hope all your birthday wishes come true, you deserve it!
Birthday Wishes for Sons
Boys may act tough, but you know your son has a soft side. Tell him how he makes you feel and he’ll appreciate it for years to come.
- Son, may you have the most incredible birthday. Even if it’s half as wonderful as you, it will be a memorable celebration.
- We hope all your birthday wishes come true and lead to an amazing future for you!
- We are so proud to watch you grow up so full of love, care and joy!
- Wishing a happy birthday to you, an amazing son and an even more amazing man.
- Dear son, you put a smile on my face everyday. Hope your birthday is filled with many more laughs.
- My dearest son, you’ve made every day feel like Mother’s Day. I’m so lucky to have you.
- Happy birthday! No matter how many birthdays you have, you will always be our baby boy.
Birthday Wishes for Husbands
Husbands can be hard to write a card for. How do you tell your life partner how much they mean to you? We have a few ideas to get you started.
- Happy birthday to the man I love the most. You bring me sunshine on rainy days.
- You are the only one who can make me forget the pains and sorrows of life. I hope your birthday is filled with pure happiness, you deserve it.
- We have made so many memories together, here’s to another year of new ones.
- Thank you for spending the time you have on this earth by my side.
- Happy birthday love. You are the kindest, most caring man I know. I’m so glad you’re in my life.
- I’m so thankful that I’ve married my best friend. Here’s to another year of love and friendship.
- For everyone else you are just a person, but to me you are the world. Happy birthday my love.
Birthday Wishes for Sisters
Your sister has been by your side through the ups and downs. Make sure they know how much you appreciate them on their birthday.
- Happy birthday to a wonderful sister who has brought me endless smiles and joy.
- Despite our fights, I alway have your back. I love you sister, happy birthday!
- When they said that to have a sister is to have a lifetime companion, they were right. Happy birthday sister!
- Thank you for being the best role model. Happy birthday sis!
- Friends come and go, but sisters are forever!
- It’s been a treat to grow up with you. Thank you for always being on my team. Wishing you the happiest of birthdays!
- I didn’t always enjoy sharing things with you, but I’m glad we got to share our childhood. Happy birthday!
Now that you’ve crafted a meaningful birthday message, make sure the birthday gift you choose is just as special. If you’re having trouble picking one out, our personality quiz will help you find ideas that are just right for the birthday boy or girl!