Your boss plays a large role in your life. They are much more than a figurehead or someone that signs your paycheck. They can have a huge effect on your career path and sometimes even your personal life.
Let them know that their hard work is appreciated on Boss Day! If you are unsure of what to write in a boss day card, we can help you out. Personalize and use these boss day messages and wishes, broken down by type of relationship, to show your boss some well-deserved appreciation!
Formal messages for your boss
Many times you are writing to a boss who you don’t really know on a casual or personal level. For these instances, you are going to need a message that is respectful and has a more formal tone.
- Thank you for everything that you do! I hope that you have a great day!
- Your effort and time both mean a lot to all of us. Thank you for being an amazing manager!
- Thank you for everything that you do for (company name), we really appreciate your hard work.
- Wishing you a Happy Boss Day, with appreciation for all that you do.
- Happy Boss Day! I am very grateful that I get to work with you. I have learned so much from my time here.
Heartfelt messages for your boss
Being close to your boss, or at least having a more casual rapport with them, can make you enjoy work even more! This relationship is definitely unique, so your message should be as well.
- Not every employee is lucky enough to have an amazing boss like you! Thank you for everything.
- You make working hard for this company easy. Thank you for being the great leader and the kind person that you are!
- Thank you sincerely for everything that you do! I am so lucky to work for you and to be able to call you a friend.
- It is such a pleasure to work with you. You are such a positive force in this office and in my life. Thank you for everything!
- Thank you for inspiring us, listening to us and bringing out the best in us. We are blessed to have you. Happy Boss Day!
- I am so happy to be working for you. Working hard is easy under your leadership!
- I admire your ability to lead and bring the best out of my coworkers and me. Thank you and Happy Boss Day!
- I really enjoy working for you and learning from you. There is never a doubt that we have the best boss.
- Thank you for being an amazing boss, we couldn’t wish for a better one!
- Your dedication to our success never goes unnoticed. Thank you for everything that you do. We are so lucky to have you as our boss!
Funny messages for your boss
Depending on your boss’s personality, a humorous card might just be the best option. People love to laugh — brighten your boss’ day and make them crack a smile!
- If you really think that I am going to go on and on about how great of boss you are…then you are absolutely correct!
- You are the first boss that I haven’t wanted to push down a flight of stairs. Congrats!
- Thank you for putting up with us all…just like we put up with you!
- Whether you see it or not, just know that we listen to everything that you say. We may not do what you say or follow through, but just know that we are always listening.
- “The customer is always right” must’ve been a typo. We all know the real quote is “the boss is always right.” Happy Boss Day!
Messages for your mentor
Bosses that are also mentors are especially important to thank. They’ve likely played a huge role in getting you where you are today. Remind them of a time that they were especially impactful.
- I cannot thank you enough for the important role that you have played in my life. I don’t know where I’d be without you!
- Not only have you been a great boss and leader, but you have also been an amazing mentor. Thank you for all that you do!
- The lessons and advice that I have received from you are things that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. With sincere gratitude, thank you!
- You have had such a huge impact on my life! I’m so thankful for everything you’ve taught me.
- “Thank you” isn’t enough to show my gratitude, but I will say it again because it is a start. Thank you for everything that you do!
Boss Day quotes
Boss Day quotes can be a perfect addition to your personal message. They would also be great quotes to put on a personalized gift.
- “Leadership is an action, not a position.” -Donald McGannon
- “A leader takes people where they want to go. A great leader takes people where they don’t necessarily want to go, but where they ought to be.” -Rosalynn Carter
- “Working for you is an honor, working without you is an absolute horror. Working under you is a pleasure, an experience that I will truly treasure. Thanks boss.” -Anonymous
- “A good leader leads the people from above them. A great leader leads the people from within them.” -M.D. Arnold
- “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” -Peter F. Drucker
Hopefully you found the perfect message from our tips on what to write in a Boss Day card! Remember to always personalize your message, but keep in mind your relationship to make sure the message is appropriate.
Consider getting your boss a personalized gift to accompany the card. Gifts.com has made it easy by providing a wide variety of boss day gifts. Figuring out what to write on a boss day card or what gift to purchase can be a little daunting, but don’t worry, they will be very happy that you are recognizing their hard work!