Each anniversary is special, even though we give extra attention to the first and those that land every five or ten years. Anniversaries are a time in a relationship or marriage to reflect on shared memories, challenges overcome and the love that endures. Whether a couple is just beginning their journey, thriving and surviving during the hazy days of raising young children, or enjoying their retirement together, lasting love is always worth celebrating.
If you’re writing to your partner, an anniversary card is an opportunity to reaffirm your love and commitment. If you’re writing to a friend or family member, a card lets them know you share in their joyful milestones.
That doesn’t mean it’s always easy to come up with the right words. Coming up with the perfect happy anniversary quote doesn’t require finesse, just a little bit of inspiration and a whole lot of love. We’ve got you covered for the inspiration bit, and the rest should come from your heart (and maybe top it off with chocolates or flowers).
Tips for writing an anniversary card
When you’re writing to your spouse, you may feel pressure to come up with the perfect line. Use the language that feels most comfortable in your relationship. If you won him or her over with your sense of humor, then don’t be afraid to write something funny. If you use sappy terms of endearment with each other, include them in your card.
Some of the most famous lines of traditional wedding vows are “for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health,” and sometimes couples strengthen their union by facing adversity together. If you know a couple that’s had a tough year due to job loss, illness or a new addition to the family, it’s still appropriate to celebrate their years together and wish them the best. Rather than get too involved in their personal circumstances, keep the message light and optimistic.
For your husband
These sentiments will help you find the words to celebrate the man you love and the strong bond that you share. A specially selected anniversary quote for your husband will help make your card meaningful, but you can also tap into your own emotions to make it personal and woo him all over again.
- “Real love stories never have endings.” – Richard Bach
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” – A.A. Milne
- “Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.” – Joyce Brothers
- “For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” – Judy Garland
- “The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “I saw that you were perfect, and so I loved you. Then I saw that you were not perfect and I loved you even more.” – Angelita Lim
- “For marriage to be a success, every woman and every man should have her and his own bathroom. The end.” – Catherine Zeta-Jones
- “The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.” – Julia Child
- Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” – Emily Bronte
- Happy Anniversary, with all my love, to the strongest, kindest, funniest, best guy I know.
- How lucky am I to have a man like you in my life? Here’s to many more years of love and happiness together.
- You’re the man of my dreams.
- Our love is not about how many days, months, or years we’ve been together. To me, our anniversary is about how much I love you every single day.
- To the man I’d say yes to over and over again.
- I feel saddened for those who have never had the joy of loving you. Happy Anniversary!
- You’re not my number one. You’re my only one.
- You are my best friend, my shoulder to lean on, the one person I know I can count on; you’re the love of my life, you’re my one and only, you’re my everything.
- No one else would understand our relationship and no one else in this world would understand me the way you do. Thank you for sharing this life with me.
- Even as the years go by, I still feel as excited about our relationship as I did on the day we said “I do!”
For your wife
If there was ever a time to write a message that will make your beloved swoon, it’s on your anniversary. Prove she still means the world to you and that you recognize all the big and little things she does for you on a daily basis with these loving anniversary messages and quotes for your wife. Reminisce about the qualities that made you choose her above all others or tell her about all your hopes for your future together.
- “The best love is the kind that awakens the soul; that makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. That’s what I hope to give you forever.” – Nicholas Sparks
- “Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays.” – Henny Youngman
- “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” – Herman Hesse
- “I love her, and that’s the beginning and end of everything.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
- “Unless you love someone, nothing else makes sense.” – E.E. Cummings
- “Love isn’t finding a perfect person. It’s seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” – Sam Keen
- “In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine.” – Maya Angelou
- Every day, I’m still discovering new things about you to love.
- I’ll love you even when we’re old and wrinkly. Happy anniversary!
- Let’s celebrate the magic we had back then, still have right now, and will always have forever more!
- How lucky I am to have fallen in love with my best friend.
- Ten years ago today, you made me the happiest man on earth. And I still feel like I’m the luckiest.
- I feel so lucky to have such a wonderful woman — a woman that makes my life complete, a woman that makes my day by the time I wake up until I get home from work. I love you so much.
- You deserve the world, and I know I can’t give that to you. So I’ll give you the next best thing: my world.
- I never knew what love was until I met you.
- Everyone is someone’s dream and you were mine.
- Marrying you was the smartest thing I ever did.
- You make every day more magical than the last.
- No one can ever replace you, and no one makes me feel the way that you do.
- Even if I got the chance to live this life again, I’d pick you time and time again.
For your friends and family
Our parents and older family members are likely our first examples of seeing how a healthy relationship works. If your parents have set the standard by which you measure relationships, here’s your chance to let them know. The same holds true of parents-in-law since you’re reaping the rewards of the precedent they set. If there are other anniversaries you’d like to celebrate or acknowledge, try these as anniversary quotes for friends or a couple you’re close to. Add personal messages of their wedding or inside jokes that you share together!
- “I find the best way to love someone is not to change them, but instead, help them reveal the greatest version of themselves.” – Dr. Steve Maraboli
- “Marriage is the golden ring in a chain whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is Eternity.” – Kahlil Gibran
- “A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short.” – Andre Marois
- “When you trip over love, it is easy to get up. But when you fall in love, it is impossible to stand again.” – Albert Einstein
- “They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for.” – Tom Bodett
- “The highest happiness on earth is marriage.” – William Lyon Phelps
- “Come, let’s be a comfortable couple and take care of each other! How glad we shall be, that we have somebody we are fond of always, to talk to and sit with.” – Charles Dickens
- Mom and Dad, the home you’ve made and your loving commitment to each other have blessed our family in more ways than we can count.
- Your togetherness in good and bad times has taught us teamwork. Your tolerance for each other’s habits has taught us patience. And your support during each other’s crises has taught us solidarity. Your lives as our parents have taught us how to live. Happy anniversary.
- You have always taught us to attain milestones in life. Congratulations on attaining one yourself.
- May your anniversary be just as special as the love you two share, Mom and Dad.
- So blessed to have grandparents like you. Thanks for showing us, year after year, what a marriage centered on faith looks like.
- You two are amazing role models for marriage, parenthood, friendship and love. Thanks for everything!
- You two are truly an inspiration.
- You have so much to show for your many years together…a beautiful family and a lasting legacy of great memories.
- Love that grows through time is such an inspiration. Congratulations on all of your years together.
- Sharing in your happiness as you celebrate another year of marriage. Today is your day to be in the spotlight, and to celebrate all you have accomplished together and to bask in admiration.
- Always knew you two had something special.
- Here’s to another chapter of your happily-ever-after!
- Another year, another great reason to celebrate!
- Let the adventure continue!
- No one and nothing in this world is perfect…but the two of you are as close as it gets! Happy anniversary.
- It’s so cool that two of my favorite people are married to each other. Here’s to three great years and many more!
- An anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today, the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow. Happy anniversary!
A handwritten card in honor of a couple’s lasting love is enough to commemorate their special day, but a thoughtful anniversary gift is always appreciated. There are anniversary motifs for each year, with traditional and more modern gifts suggested for each one.
For example, the traditional first-year gift is paper (such as an anniversary journal), while the modern gift is a clock. Of course, these are just guidelines and you should feel free to gift your significant other or couple friends with whatever suits their style. After all, you’re the one who knows what they will like best.