Parenthood is a huge transition. Moms-to-be and dads-to-be are preparing for perhaps the biggest change in their lives. Penning a thoughtful card is one way to acknowledge this momentous milestone and share in the family’s excitement.
A baby shower is a retreat from the planning and preparation that goes along with a new baby, and a chance to celebrate with family and friends. Soon enough, all their time will be consumed by their little bundle of joy!
However when it comes time to write a baby shower card, you can end up with writer’s block. If that’s the case for you, let us help you find the words you want to say.
Addressing a Baby Shower Card
Once upon a time, baby showers were exclusively female events and addressing the card was simple. These days, you’ll want to consider your relationship to the parents and family, as well as the formality of the event. The invitation will clue you in on how to address the card.
If it’s a formal invitation or a formal baby shower theme (such as a tea party), you may want to use the guest of honor’s full name on the card. The invitation is also the place to check and see if you should include the names of both the mother and father on the card, as it has become more and more popular to have a couple’s shower.
Most personal cards begin with the salutation “Dear” followed by the recipient’s first name and a comma. If you are a close friend of the mother, you can even use a nickname. However you address the card, make sure it matches the name(s) written on the envelope.
What to Write in a Baby Shower Card
The crux of your message will be in the body of the card. What you choose to write will depend on the type of gathering and how close you are with the parents. If you don’t know the family well, a simple message of congratulations is fitting. Close friends and relatives should write from the heart, but if you’re feeling stuck, we’ve gathered some ideas and inspiration for you below.
This is also a good time to bring something personal to the card, such as an anecdote based on your own experience or an inside joke between you and the guest of honor. Personal sentiments are the ones that will be most treasured by the parents-to-be!
Baby Shower Wishes
Baby Shower Wishes of Health
When asked whether they are hoping for a boy or a girl, most mothers will respond with something along the lines of, “all I really hope for is a healthy baby!” Your positive thoughts for both mom and baby will be appreciated as mom heads into the final months of pregnancy.
- Wishing you an easy, safe delivery and a healthy baby.
- A grand adventure is about to begin. Wishing you a safe delivery.
- Welcoming your new baby with wishes of health, joy and plenty of sleep.
- A great joy is coming. Many best wishes for the remainder of your pregnancy.
- May you both be happy and healthy.
- Good health to you through the remainder of your pregnancy, and best wishes to you on delivery day.
Baby Shower Wishes for a Boy
A bouncing baby boy will light up the lives of both parents.
- Oh boy! We can’t wait to meet him. Thanks for inviting us to share in your baby shower celebrations.
- If he’s anything like his father, he’ll be a handsome baby boy!
- Get ready for toy cars in all shapes and sizes, for balls, bats bikes and all sorts of surprises. Congratulations on your little man.
- A precious little boy is on the way. What an exciting time for your family.
- This little guy is already blessed with amazing parents. We can’t wait to watch your family grow.
- We hope you have your mom’s smile and your dad’s humor. Lots of love little man.
Baby Shower Wishes for a Girl
Mom’s precious little mini-me will soon arrive on the scene, and both parents will find they have a whole new capacity to love.
- A beautiful little girl to play with and adore, to spoil a little and love a lot, who could ask for more!
- Sugar, spice and everything nice; this is what your new family is made of.
- Booties and bonnets, ribbons and lace, little stuffed toys all over the place. Congratulations on your sweet little girl.
- We’re tickled pink to meet your new baby girl.
- A great joy is coming all wrapped in pink. We can’t wait to meet her.
- We’re tutu excited to meet your darling daughter.
- One minute you’re dressing her in tutus and pink bows, the next you’re buttoning the back of her bridal gown. Enjoy all the little moments; they fly by fast!
- Your daughter will be beautiful, smart and happy—just like her mother!
Baby Shower Wishes for Twins
If the ultrasound results have the expecting parents seeing double, a special message acknowledging their status as a twin mommy and daddy is cute and thoughtful. These messages can also be adjusted for triplets or multiples.
- Twins! Sometimes miracles come in pairs.
- If there’s anything more special than a new baby on the way, it’s two babies on the way!
- Here comes double trouble! Congratulations on your twins.
- It’s twins! Congratulations! Twins mean double the kisses and double the fun. It’s double the joy for everyone.
- There are many reasons to smile, and you just got two more! Congratulations on your twins!
Baby Shower Messages
Baby Shower Messages of Congratulations
Keep it simple and to the point, with an encouraging and sincere wish for the continued happiness of the parents-to-be.
- Many congratulations on your new bundle of joy.
- Best wishes for a lifetime of happiness.
- May your new child bring you a lifetime of blessings.
- Congratulations and well wishes on new beginnings.
- Welcome to the world little one! So thrilled that you are here.
- Lots of love and best wishes on the arrival of your new child.
Baby Shower Messages of Wisdom and Assistance
Perhaps you have children (or even grandchildren) of your own, and want to impart wisdom on the parents-to-be.
- If you have any questions about nursing or delivering, feel free to reach out to me. I’ve been there.
- I’d like to bring your favorite meal whenever it’s convenient for you! I will follow up a few days after you return home to check in.
- If you need me to babysit [insert name of other child], please call anytime.
- Please know that I am here to help with dishes or vacuuming so you can bond with the baby.
- The best thing to spend on your baby is time.
- With a new baby, things may get more chaotic, but your house will always be filled with love and laughter. All the best and many happy memories.
- Enjoy every moment because time flies by!
- Enjoy looking after your baby, and don’t forget to pamper yourself.
Baby Shower Messages for Mom
While it’s becoming more and more popular to include both parents at a baby shower, you may want to direct your message specifically to the guest of honor. After all, growing a tiny human is no easy feat!
- Congratulations on your upcoming new arrival! I know you’ll be a wonderful mother.
- A mother-to-be has a wonderful dreams of her child’s future. Such beautiful plans and love that never ends.
- I know you’ll be a wonderful mother.
- The unconditional love that you will feel will be with you from the moment you set eyes on your little one.
- No one can totally prepare you for being a mother, but you’ll learn everything you need to know at just the right times.
- While books and articles can help, motherhood is it’s own learning process. Your child will bring amazing surprises that you never expected.
Funny Baby Shower Messages
Parenthood can be a crazy adventure, and sometimes you just need to laugh about it. These funny messages will help the expectant parents see the lighter side of things, which may become a necessity when the going gets tough. Add these funny baby shower messages in addition to something heartfelt to let them know how much you care.
- You better remember this baby shower. It will be one of the last showers you enjoy in peace.
- Have fun learning how to remove a whole new spectrum of stains!
- Hello, baby! Goodbye, sleep!
- When you are choosing a name for your baby, don’t forget the names of the important people in your life, like me!
- I heard about your newest development. Congratulations on being so creative!
- To test to see if you are ready for a baby, try putting a pair of underwear on a kangaroo.
Adorable Baby Shower Messages
There’s nothing more precious than the miracle of life, and these sentiments express how sweet it truly is to be a parent.
- Baby booties, baby toys, baby shower, baby joys. Warmest wishes to you and your baby.
- Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart.
- Of all the precious gifts in life, the best is surely a baby – a blessing for now and forever.
- Sending happy thoughts your way as you prepare to welcome a little someone new to your family. This little miracle will soon make your world more beautiful and happy.
- Love just got real. So very excited for you!
- The littlest feet make the biggest footprints in our hearts. Enjoy this love.
Messages for a Second Child
Parenthood the second time around comes with new joys and challenges. A new baby isn’t only a change for the parents, the siblings have to make a big adjustment as well. You may want to acknowledge this new role with a special message or gift for the big brother or sister.
- Your family is growing, and with it love continues to blossom. May your blessings increase tenfold as we welcome your second child.
- Your first child has brought joy to all who have the pleasure of knowing your family. We can’t wait to experience the wonder that will come with your precious new gift.
- A mother’s love is like no other. The smile on your first child’s face shows that your love is abundant. May you continue to delight in your children as your family grows.
- Now the stork knows where you live. May your second child bring as many blessings as your first!
- For a sibling: We know you will be such a wonderful “big brother/sister” and have lots of fun with your new baby brother/sister.
Religious Baby Shower Messages
A little miracle will soon make the parents’ lives richer and more fulfilling. If they are religious, you may want to share a scripture or spiritual sentiment.
- Every child is a gift from God. May God bless your baby.
- I pray for health and happiness for you and your new baby.
- A baby is a blessing, a gift from heaven above!
- Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a real blessing. – Psalm 127:3
- Jesus said, “Let the children come to me and do not stop them, because the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” – Matthew 19:14
Personalized Baby Shower Messages
Add a personal touch, such as the baby’s name (if one has been chosen), or mention the parents’ hobbies. For example, if the dad is an avid guitar player, incorporate something related to music in your message.
- The sweet sound of baby’s voice will be music to your ears.
- I can’t wait to watch your beautiful son/daughter, [name], as he/she grows.
- In a few months, your son will be the newest member of your family football team!
Quotes on Parenthood
If you’re not Shakespeare, you may wish to borrow a few inspirational verses from some well-known authors.
- “Motherhood: All love begins and ends there.” –Robert Browning
- “A new baby is like the beginning of all things: wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities.” –Eda J. Le Shan
- “A baby is God’s opinion that the world should go on.” –Carl Sandburg
- “I can’t think why mothers love them. All babies do is leak at both ends.” –Douglas Feaver
- “Babies have big heads and big eyes, and tiny little bodies with tiny little arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell! I rest my case.” —William Shatner
While we’ve included many baby shower messages to choose from, the best words are those that come from your heart. Personalization not only conveys your well wishes, but makes the family feel special. Another way to add a personal touch is with a customized baby shower gift. You can print your sentiments onto canvas art that can be added to the nursery decor, or monogram a baby keepsake. Your thoughtful words and meaningful gift will be treasured by the parents for years to come, and may brighten their days after a few sleepless nights!