When you first start seeing someone new, there’s a stream of date nights over dinner and drinks that can eventually lead into a significant relationship. But as the months and years go by, it can be easy for couples to find themselves skipping date night and opting for routine nights in.
For families, it can be a challenge to coordinate everyone’s hectic schedules and find time to do something together. Between school and extracurricular activities, parents might be spending more time in the car driving their children from activity to activity rather than spending fun, quality time together as a family. That’s why the gift of experiences or dates is the perfect way to guarantee you have the opportunity to have fun and create new memories!
What is a Year of Dates book?
No more asking “what do you want to do tonight?” — a year of dates book is a great way to ensure you have a fun outing at least once a month with either your significant other or your family. These DIY books allow you to pre-plan dates and ideas, so no matter how busy life gets, there’s no more excuses to not have a fun outing scheduled. For each month of the year, select one of our date ideas and fill in the printables with what activity you’ll be doing. Whether you prefer something out on the town, or trying a new activity at home, there’s something for every budget and lifestyle.
Active date night ideas
While it can be easy to indulge on a date night out, there are plenty of options to keep it healthy and fun! Deciding to have an active date night is a great way to get your blood flowing and your heart rate up. It’s also a great way to motivate one another to stay fit and achieve any workout goals you may have.
- Join a intramural league together (also a great way to meet other couples!)
- Attend a unique workout class like kickboxing or hip-hop
- Sign up for a 5K or 10K race
- Try a local rock climbing gym
- Hike a new local trail
- Go out for a night of dancing
- Try a yoga class
- Take a trip to the playground
- Ride bikes around the neighborhood
- Play laser tag
- Go for a walk and do a nature scavenger hunt
- Have a jump rope competition
- Play a game of charades
- Take classic games, like capture the flag or hide and seek, outside
Spring and summer date night ideas
As the weather warms up, it’s time to put your puffy jackets back into storage and enjoy spending time outdoors! Now that the days are getting longer, there’s plenty of time to try out each one of these date night ideas for spring and summer. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Go glamping
- Attend a baseball game
- Have a backyard BBQ
- Visit a local farmers market
- Play a game of pick-up basketball
- Go stargazing
- Have a bonfire on the beach
- Attend a music festival
- Pack a picnic for the park
- Take an electric scooter tour of your city
- Visit the zoo
- Go out for ice cream
- Go backyard camping
- Find local outdoor family-friendly movie nights
- Go to an amusement park
- Play a round of mini golf
- Have a water balloon or water gun fight in the backyard
- Create your own sidewalk chalk art
- Go swimming at the local pool or lake
- Plant a backyard vegetable garden
Fall and winter date night ideas
Even as the leaves begin to change color and the air starts to cool, there are still plenty of fun activities that don’t limit you to staying indoors. Prepare for the upcoming holiday season with festive fun for the whole family or your romantic partner!
- Ice skating
- Go to the movies
- Have a date night in and cook dinner
- Go for a dip in a hot tub or hot spring
- Take a day trip to the mountains for skiing or snowboarding
- Snuggle up to the fire
- Make your own fondue — cheese or chocolate!
- Go to a paint and wine night
- Have a karaoke night
- Test your wits at a pub trivia night
- Go apple picking
- Visit a local children’s museum
- Go trick-or-treating as a family
- Find a snowy hill and go sledding
- Build a pillow fort at home
- Spend the night playing board games
- Visit the pumpkin patch
- Make s’mores at home
- Go to the theater for a kid-friendly show
- Make snow cones using real snow
- Build a family of snowmen
- Bake your favorite desserts or cookies
Dating doesn’t have to end just because you’ve been with someone long-term, and it’s equally important to spend the same type of quality time with your family as it is your significant other. With these year of dates ideas and printables, date night will no longer be a hassle! Whether it’s a romantic night on the town to celebrate an anniversary or a family trip to the museum, these ideas are sure to help you have the best year of dates ever! For even more unique ideas, try creating a date night box with everything you need for an adventurous or romantic evening together.